This is a guide that will help you to perform the Netgear WiFi Extender Setup procedure successfully.
Free Problem Diagnostics Chat Support
24×7 Chat Support from our Online Technicians.
Chat With us!!
Free Support for Extender SETUP CALL TOLL FREE
What is Netgear WiFi Extender?
Netgear WiFi extender is stand-alone equipment that helps in boosting the WiFi bandwidth. It boosts the weak WiFi signals and strengthens the signals. Along with this, it helps in converting the dead zones into the fun zones i.e. through Netgear WiFi extender setup even the dead zones will receive the signals. It broadens the network coverage that will keep the devices connected to a fast and reliable network connection. Netgear WiFi Extender expands the network coverage to each and every corner of your house or office. WiFi extenders are simply the way to get rid of dead zones and intermittent signals. These devices are designed with both wired and wireless technology for converting the weak signals areas into strong signal areas. It uses the same WiFi credentials. This will help you enjoy a seamless WiFi connection.
Step-by-step Guide for Netgear WiFi Extender Setup
- First and foremost, you have to unbox your Netgear WiFi Extender and complete the initial Netgear WiFi Extender Setup. For setting up, connect the external antennas to the Netgear device and plug it in the power outlet. Make sure its power light is lit. The continuous power supply is needed for the seamless installation. Note: If you have the Desktop Extender, then connect its power adaptor to the extender and electric outlet. On the other hand, if you have a wall-plug design extender, then directly plug in the extender to the electric outlet.
- After that, follow the below-given procedures, as per your router. If your router supports WPS Setup, then follow the WPS method. However, if your router does not support WPS setup, then you have to follow the Network Installation Assistant process.
- Press the WPS button from your Netgear WiFi extender.
- Now, locate the WPS button on the router. You can find it either on the front of your or at the back.
- Once you find the button, press the WPS from the router.
Note: Make sure you press the button within two minutes.
- By pressing the WPS button, the Link Rate LED on your extender will lit.
Note: In case your router supports both 2GHz and 5 GHz band and you want to extend the 2 GHz to 5 GHz, then perform the WPS button process again.
- After that, unplug the router and place it in the new location. It is recommended that you place the extender halfway between your Netgear router and the dead zone.
Note: Location should be within the range of your WiFi router.
- If the LEDs lit green, then it will indicate that a good connection gets established. However, if LEDs will lit red, then you need to move your extender closer to the router.
- This will successfully complete the Netgear WiFi Extender Setup. Once you find a good location, you can connect your system to the WiFi network.
- The Netgear WiFi Extender Setup will use the same name as your WiFi connection. It just adds “_5 GHz” or “_2GHz” after your network name. For connection, you can use the same WiFi password.
- In order to check if your extender works properly or not, then, check the Client Link LEDs. The green LED will indicate that the WiFi network has extended properly. However, the red LED means the extender is not reaching to the dead zone. In such a situation, you are recommended to relocate your system and move it near to your extender.
Network Installation Assistant:
- Once your extender is powered on, you need to move to your computer system or mobile device and connect it to the extender. For Netgear WiFi Extender Setup, you are provided with two options. You can either establish a wired connection or wireless connection.
Wired Setup: Take the Ethernet cable and connect its one end to the router and another end to the system.
Wireless Setup: Access the WiFi Connection manager and connect to the default network named “Netgear_EXT”.
- After that, switch to the Network Installation Assistant webpage. For this, enter the “mywifiext.com” in the address bar of your browser.
- In the next window, you need to click the “New Extender Setup” tab.
- On clicking this option, a “Create Account” form will display on your screen.
Note: In case, the account creation window does not appear, then, you are required to enter the default credentials i.e. “admin” and “password”.
- Fill in all the required information in their respective fields and hit the “Next” tab.
- In the Welcome window, click the “WiFi Range Extender” tab.
- Now, you will get the list of available WiFi Networks. List for both 2 GHz and 5 GHz will display on your screen.
- Make the selection of your Netgear WiFi connection by tick marking the checkbox provided beside the network connection.
- Click the “Next” button to proceed further with the Netgear WiFi Extender Setup.
- Thereafter, enter the Netgear WiFi security key in the given fields and press “Next”.
- Further, you will be asked to configure your Netgear extended network. You can change both the Network Name i.e. SSID and Password.
Note: You can also keep the extender name and password the same as earlier.
- Hit “Next”
- Afterwards, the extender credentials will display on your screen. Make sure the credentials are correct and then, click “Continue”.
- Finally, you will get the Extender connection successful message on your screen. This will conclude the Netgear WiFi Extender Setup process.